Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Old Man Winter

Winter has been particularly fierce here in our neck of the woods. It's been intensely cold (for ths area) and we've had an unusual amount of snow for an unusual amount of time. It started snowing on Saturday 12/13 and snowed almost every day for a week. From then it's been too cold for any melting to happen and it's still been snowing intermittently. Right now there's a mixture of rain and snow, telling me that it's too cold to just rain but too warm to just snow.

I'd love some rain about now. I've fallen thrice since last Friday (12/19), all three times on my right side with my shoulder taking the brunt of my weight.

For some reason blogger has decided that I can't move my pictures around so these are not in chronological order.



There are some large icicles hanging from the eaves outside our front door. The effect that the dripping water has produced is illustrated in the following two pictures. They're little tiny stalagmites, aided in formation by the fir boughs on the front porch that I had intended to make wreaths with. It looks like a tiny 1" a



This is what the deck looked like in the middle of the snowfall. By the time things started warming up at all, another 4" had accumulated.


This is the reproducing icicle during the cold


James and the kids walking home from the mailbox.


Upon first seeing this picture, James commented that if you didn't know any better, you'd think this was taken up in the mountains. In all actuality, I took this photo in our sleepy little valley 5 miles outside the city limits.




Captain Snowbeard


The kids and I after our sledding adventure.


The Valley Association's sad attempt at closing our road...


No, those are not people's driveways...they are cars that have been abandoned after attempting to drive up the hill on the road that had been closed.




Our street.


Our roof and the trees behind our house.




Some videos of the sledding fun!









That's what our holiday break has looked like so far. What has yours looked like?

No comments: